Jewish dating website ukraine hugh hefner dating advice
Yet the theater is one of the few vestiges of what was once a large Jewish community in Romania, and one of the few professional Yiddish-language theaters left in Europe. Housed in the magnificently preserved Great Synagogue (1850) in the city's historically Jewish neighborhood, this museum traces the history of Romania's Jewish population. Ruined 40 years later by the Iron Guard, a nationalistic Fascist organization of the time, it was restored in 1951 with the support of Romania's Jewish community.Bucharest is home to one of the oldest and most important Jewish communities in Romania. Around the beginning of the 17th century, during the Cossack uprising, the first Ashkenazi Jews came from Ukraine and Poland. The displays include a collection of books written, published, illustrated or translated by Romanian Jews; a small collection of paintings of and by Romanian Jews (many of the same artists' works hang in the National Museum of Art) and memorabilia from Jewish theaters, including the State Jewish Theater. Tache Ionescu 9 In a busy side street heading toward Piata Amzei from Magheru Bulevard stands the only other active synagogue in the city. Cluj has three Jewish cemeteries, located on Badescu, Turzii, and Somului strets. Tipografiei 25 Telephone: (264) 596.600 Only one of the two remaining synagogues is still in use in this little Moldovan town where Jews from Poland settled in the 17th century.Playwright Eugene Ionesco; actors Molly Picon, Edward Robinson and John Houseman; conductor Sergiu Comissiona; opera star Alma Gluck; pianists Clara Haskil and Theodor Fuchs, and writers Isaac Peltz and Elie Wiesel are some of the internationally known Jewish Romanian personalities in the artistic world.Violinist Miriam Fried, now an Israeli citizen, was born in Romania, as was Saul Steinberg, an artist best known for his New Yorker drawings.Little Romania in lower Manhattan was a neighborhood within a neighborhood, tucked into the blocks bound by East Houston Street, Allen Street, Grand Street, and the Bowery.
During the 19th century, the town became the center of Reform Judaism under the leadership of Rabbi Aaron Chorin. The interior features lovely naïve representations of scenes of Jerusalem, biblical animals, and symbols representing the tribes of Israel.By 1832, ten holy houses had been established, their number increasing significantly before the end of the century. Today, the small remaining community is served by the only standing synagogue, the Great Synagogue, built in the 19th century on the site of the town's first synagogue from 1792. The newer one, with tombs dating from the 19th century, is located at the end of Brosteni Street, not far from the town center.